Categories: Braces, Caring for Your Braces, Early Treatment, Meet Reagin Ortho, Orthodontic Knowledge, Self Esteem, Teeth, Your Health
What is a Water Flosser?
At Reagin Orthodontics we are all about good oral health! Daily brushing and flossing of your teeth as well as maintaining your 6 month visits to your dentist is the cornerstone of good oral health.
One of the most important areas of your mouth to clean is in-between your teeth and around the tooth/gum junction. These are the first places bacterial plaque will form, and it is also the hardest to keep clean. Water flossers, like Waterpik™, are a good tool to clean between the teeth and around orthodontic appliances.
At Reagin Orthodontics we really like the use of water flossers. Here is what we have found:
Waterpik™ makes several types of water flossers including some just for kids. Personally, we like the countertop Waterpik™ Ultra Water Flosser, since it holds a good amount of liquid and patients find they have more control over the water pressure than the cordless Waterpik™. The Ultra Water Flosser runs about $60, but if you live by a Costco you can get both the Ultra Water Flosser and the Cordless Plus Water Flosser for only $79.
Water flossers typically come with several attachments and you can try them all out if you like, but the Classic Jet Tip works best. If you have braces the Plaque Seeker and Orthodontic Tips can help you clean around the brackets.
Categories: Braces, Caring for Your Braces, Early Treatment, Orthodontic Knowledge, Summerville SC, Teeth, Your Health
What to expect at your Initial Orthodontic Consultation
When you meet an orthodontist for an initial consultation, we strongly recommend consideration of the following:
– What is the practices philosophy? Make sure it lines up with what you are looking for.
– What is the orthodontist’s level of experience and how long have they been practicing?
– Does the practice have multiple offices forcing you to go to different office locations for your appointments?
– Is the orthodontic practice conveniently located close to your home, office or child’s school?
– Ask to see before-and-after photos of previous patients. Are the results to your liking?
– How varied and advanced are the treatments offered? Revolutionary new technologies such as temporary mini-screws, translucent aligner scanning (such as Invisalign and Invisalign Teen) and self-ligating brackets.
– Is the orthodontist familiar with the different cutting edge accelerated treatment options such as AcceleDent, Propel, and Wilckodontics?
– What is the orthodontist’s diagnosis and plan of action for your teeth and how clearly has it been explained to you? Did the orthodontist provide information about alternatives? How practical is the treatment plan in light of your personal, business and social needs?
– What is the office ambiance like? Specifically, are you (or your child) comfortable with the orthodontist’s chair-side manner? Is the staff friendly, welcoming and quick to address your concerns? Since orthodontic treatment takes an average of two years, with appointments typically every six to eight weeks, it is important to establish a rapport with all of those who will be providing services.
– Emergencies are unlikely, but just in case, what is the office protocol?
– What are the financing options? Are their multifamily discounts? Paid in full discounts?
– Does the fee for treatment include retainers and is there a “Lifetime Guarantee” offered? Make sure to ask.
– Does the practice focus on educating you (and/or your child) on the care of their braces and/or appliances?
At Reagin Orthodontics we believe that finding an orthodontist you trust is like forming any important relationship in your life. Do some research, get to know them, ask your friends and trust your instincts!
Categories: Braces, Community Interest, Contests, Early Treatment, Orthodontic Knowledge, Self Esteem, Summerville SC, Teeth
Show your style with Braces Colors at Reagin Orthodontics
COLORFUL BRACES MAKE MORE THAN FASHION STATEMENT
At Reagin orthodontics patients can choose from a splashy array of colors to make fashion statements with their braces. Some patients will coordinate pastels with a wardrobe, or choose signature hues for celebrating holidays while others like to support a cause or express school spirit.
Whatever your motive, the fun braces colors serve a serious purpose. “When patients are involved in their treatment, they may take better care of their braces. That helps the patient and the doctor to reach treatment goals and produces a healthy, beautiful smile on time” emphasizes Dr. Reagin
While many patients enjoy picking their colors other patients prefer to be less obvious about their orthodontic treatment. We have a variety of options including tooth-colored brackets; self-ligating brackets, which do not require ties to join the wire to the bracket; or invisalign. Dr Reagin is the only premier invisalign provider in Summerville, and that means at Reagin Orthodontics you are getting the BEST! Call today for your complimentary consulation. You Deserve the Best!
Categories: Braces, Community Interest, Early Treatment, Jaw Growth, Orthodontic Knowledge, Self Esteem, Summerville SC, Teeth, Your Health
Orthodontic Checkup–WHY age 7??
Many parents assume they must wait until their child has all of his or her permanent teeth in the mouth to have their first orthodontic check-up. The American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) recommends that every child get a check-up with an orthodontist no later than age 7. “I would like to emphasize how important it is that parents understand the value of an orthodontic check- up,” says Dr. Reagin. “By age 7, enough permanent teeth have erupted for an orthodontist to evaluate relationships between the teeth, face, and bite”.
At your 1st appointment, the initial orthodontic exam, Dr. Reagin may find that your child’s bite is fine; however Dr. Reagin may identify a developing problem and recommend monitoring the child’s growth and development at a consistent interval. In other cases Dr. Reagin may find a problem that would benefit from early treatment. Evidence shows that approximately 25% of children seen at an initial orthodontic exam can benefit from early orthodontic intervention.
Early treatment benefits include:
- Guide jaw growth
- Lower the risk of trauma to protruding front teeth
- Correct harmful oral habits
- Create space for erupting teeth
- Improve appearance and self esteem
- Guide permanent teeth into a more favorable position
When indicated, early treatment may often prevent more serious problems from developing and make treatment at a later stage shorter and less complicated. In some cases Dr. Reagin will be able to achieve results that may not be possible once the face and jaw have finished growing.
“A visit to the orthodontist can ease a parent’s mind, too,” notes Dr. Reagin. Through an early orthodontic evaluation, you’ll be giving your child the very best opportunity for a healthy, beautiful smile.
Keep in mind that if your child is older than 7, it’s certainly not too late for a check-up at Reagin Orthodontics. Dr. Reagin’s goal is to provide each patient with the appropriate treatment at the most appropriate time.
To schedule a complimentary consult with Dr. Reagin call our office at 843-871-4411. Note that a dental referral is not necessary.